"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes." - Dag Hammarskjold

Sunday, March 24, 2013

celebrating lives greatly full :: mike herzog

Mike Herzog is an all 'round good guy... a loving husband & father, gifted endurance athlete and founder of GoodGuysTri.  In his own words, he works to leverage his passion for endurance sports to simply do good in this crazy world. He is determined to Live Life Intentionally.  Mike was one of my inspirations as I began to plan the gratitude project, and I'm happy to have him as a contributor... Thanks Mike!
 
What DECISION are you most grateful for, and why?

I am most grateful for the “Leap of Faith” taken on September 27th, 2003, the day Genevieve married me – a mutual decision.  Over the course of the past 10 years I cannot imagine my life without her love, support, and unique ability to “kick my butt” when needed.  We live a privileged life – yes, it takes effort, self-control, and goal setting but we recognize, and remain grateful, for the “head-start” afforded by our parents – both as role models and in support they provide us to this point.  We are rich in love, friendship and healthy children.  I am grateful to feel this way and our decision!

What PERSONAL QUALITY are you most grateful for, and why?

Being first generation Canadian of parents who have witnessed the worst of humanity (Second World War, Holocaust, Communism, and the Hungarian Revolution), the personal quality my parents instilled is unrelenting passion and effort to succeed with integrity.  Faced with so many “shortcuts” in life that may not reflect our ethical path, I am grateful and passionate about applying unrelenting energy to achieve the highest possible outcome without compromising ethics.  The result is both success and failure now fill my spiritual cup and feeling of self-worth.

What FAILURE are you most grateful for, and why?

Every time I fail to show love to those important to me I realize (at some point) the opportunity lost.  Each failure in this realm reinforces the importance of giving and receiving love in all sorts of realms (Self, Life Partner, Family, Friends, and complete Strangers).  In my opinion, the discord of the heart, mind and soul is overcome by giving and receiving love.  Love yourself, love family and friends, and the world around you.  My greatest failure is in the lost opportunities to do this and I am grateful for the reflection that refocuses my attention to “Love”.

I am not particularly religious but the following statement by a priest years ago echoes in my head:

“Love thy neighbour… even if you do not like them”

“Love is all you need”  The Beatles

1 comment: