"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes." - Dag Hammarskjold

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

walking the talk of gratitude...

OK.  When I started this project, I just knew it would challenge me... It would ask me to view my own situations through the lens of gratitude.  It would look me straight on and say: 

walk the talk.

Just yesterday, I read an update on the VIA Rail Web site saying that their labour negotiations with the Canadian Auto Workers' (CAW) union are ongoing.  Although they remain optimistic, should they be unable to reach an agreement with CAW, the union will likely follow through on its stated intent to go on strike on June 14 at 00:01a.m.

My train is scheduled to leave Toronto on June 15.

(sigh)

My first reaction was a quickening of the heart beat, a rise in blood pressure and the early signs of all-out panic.  The sound of Aaaaargh! resonated in our home.  I have been saving for this trip for years.  I have been planning for months.  I have been preparing for weeks. The cross-country train ride is the very springboard that launched the idea of *the gratitude project: dare to be grateful*.

Oh but wait!  VIA Rail has set up a contingency plan to maintain basic service.  All good, except that basic service does not include sleeper accommodations and dining service on the Toronto-Vancouver line.  Do I really want to ride economy?

As I felt the blood pounding in my temples, I have to say, I was surprised at how quickly the following question popped into my head:

What would this situation look like
through the lens of gratitude?

Whaaat?!  You mean this gratitude stuff is actually kicking in?!?  So I stopped my thoughts-run-riot (yes, it can be done) and I re-directed my energy towards this question.  What DOES this situation look like through the lens of gratitude??  It looks like this:
  • I am grateful that my train is not leaving on the day BEFORE possible strike action, as this is the case for many travellers, I'm sure.
  • I am grateful VIA is offering the chance to cancel my ticket for a full refund at any time up to the planned departure, leaving me almost two full days to make alternate plans.
  • I am grateful labour talks are continuing.
  • I am grateful for Facebook, which is allowing me to keep in close touch with what is happening at VIA Rail - and with other travellers.
  • I am grateful for a life view that does not lead me to blame VIA Rail, or the workers, or anyone else who might be within reach.
  • I am grateful for a Hubby who is relaxed and does not add any negative energy to the situation. ("Worse case, we'll just fly you to Vancouver", says he...)
  • I am grateful that *the gratitude project* is evolving to be more than a train ride. 
And so, we wait.  (With fingers crossed. :-))

gratefully yours,
jag


1 comment:

  1. I love your "view" through the lens of gratitude! I KNOW this will work out for you - maybe not in the way you have PLANNED, but this WILL all work out. (((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete