"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes." - Dag Hammarskjold

Sunday, August 25, 2013

celebrating lives greatly full :: kelly barton

Every once in a while, you meet someone and BAM! - before you know it, you are crushing big time.  I'm not ashamed to admit it; Kelly Barton is my latest girl crush.  I met her at the Your Story Retreat in Oregon earlier this summer and feel like a lovely new spark has entered my life.

She oozes creativity. She celebrates colour in everything she does.  She has a great laugh.  She loves Lenny Kravitz the way I love Jason Mraz. (Yes, that much.)

She is a talented artist, regardless of the media: watercolours, pens, beads or sidewalk chalk.

She makes me want to visit Indiana.

Thanks so much for being such a great supporter of *the gratitude project: dare to be grateful*, Kelly!  So glad to share a bit of your spark here as one of our grateful guests...


I am a girl who lives in the middle.

A girl who for quite a while was the middle child.

A girl who has always felt stuck. in the middle.
 
But over the years the layers of life slowly began to peel away. One slowly rolling back leaving just enough space for that next layer to begin to open. And then the next. That is what i am most grateful for, each layer that opened up. That allowed the light to shine in on my days, bringing new knowledge, understanding and patience to this girl's world.

Of course there were those layers whose momentum caused pain and sadness and yes, failures. But without each of those layers, the stages of learning wouldn't have been existed. It can be tough even thinking about some of those stinky layers, the discomfort can some days be unbearable, but the failures are what bring our success.


I am a girl grateful for parents who raised me with love and also weren’t afraid to be the parent. Who taught us to be helpful and to step in when someone needed a nudge.

I am happy that I have lived in the middle so long that each fall I get to witness the most amazing harvest moons and smell the popcorn being popped at the football field while the drums guide the Friday night crowd into the game.

I am thankful for my colorful home that keeps us cozy in the winter. Where twinkle lights hang off the tree in the backyard and frames our mantle keeping me company many nights. A little reminder to slow down and soak in the simple moments.

I am blessed to be chosen by three wicked funny pixies. Who each carry their own beliefs, color and flair. Moments of utter disbelief in their antics can never dismiss the love that is packed down into little pockets for each of them. Grateful that even in my less than finer moments they still love me, as well and continue to walk beside me.

I am the one who looks over at him and smiles deep down grateful and happy that somehow we found one another and after 16 years, we still giggle, disagree and almost every night of the year, we snuggle up under this old house.
 
I am a girl. grateful for all the layers that have gently peeled back over the years, just for me, sharing the sweet spot in this silly. crazy. colorful. life.

 

2 comments: