"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes." - Dag Hammarskjold

Friday, October 11, 2013

*the gratitude project* goes to school...

A special shout-out to the Grade 8 kids at Broadview Public School here in Ottawa!  I had the pleasure of spending some time with them on Thursday, talking about *the gratitude project: dare to be grateful*, answering questions and hearing about some of the things they are grateful for.  Their teachers have incorporated a bit of *the gratitude project* into a special assignment for Thanksgiving (celebrated this weekend in Canada) and I can't wait to share some of the results with you here!

Students have been tasked with interviewing a friend or a family member over the weekend to find out what they are grateful for.  They will then write short narratives about what they heard and I will be sharing a selection of them here over the next several weeks. 

It was very interesting being in a school after so many years!  I can't remember the last time I was surrounded by the hustle and bustle of kids in school hallways.  The energy - wow!  I really enjoyed the questions the students asked... thoughtful and engaging.  Many were about my own experience of blogging and storytelling, as well as plans for future projects.

The students were also invited to help me in my postcard project.  They were given blank, stamped postcards and were asked to leave them in public places for people to find OR to fill them out themselves and pop them in the mail.  I have already received postcards from all over Canada, the USA and even Ireland!  I will be sharing some of those here on the blog very shortly.

And so, a HUGE thank you to Ms. Viner, Ms. Krochmalnek and all the students.  You guys rock!  (And don't forget - ANY ideas to help me get Jason Mraz to write on my blog... ANY?!! :-))


Ms. Viner's Grade 8 Class Portrait - the hearts were their idea!

gratefully yours,
jag

1 comment:

  1. The picture of the kids with the hearts really touched MY heart! Beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete